A huge thank you to Hackney Archives who came along to our February meeting to talk about their work. They collect, preserve and provide access to records that contribute to our understanding of Hackney’s socio-economic and cultural identity.
The archive was started in 1882 by John Tyson, a Hackney land owner who donated his library. The archive was located in the Old Shoreditch Library in 1965 and in 2012 they moved to a specially designed public space in CLR James Library, Dalston Square.
The oldest document in the archive was written in Latin and dates back to 1356.
They hold over 17,000 images in the form of paintings, drawings and photographs, a small proportion of which can be seen online. Picture postcards, documenting the changes in De Beauvoir over time, are held here as well as photos of bomb damaged properties (see below) and photos of the streets pre clearance to develop the De Beauvoir Estate can also be seen.
They hold a huge collection of maps providing a major source of information on how the area has developed over time . Along with ‘Street Directories’ which were published between 1840-1930 giving list of residents and the drain surveys which began in 1856 – all hold a vast amount of knowledge about the footprint of individual properties.
They also welcome volunteers to help them catalogue for various projects.